Thursday 5 December 2013

5th December: Home Truths at the Photographers Gallery












































Home Truths: Photography Motherhood & Identity is an absolutely incredible exhibition. And is definitely worth seeing, although I say that for most of the exhibitions I put on here - so you guys must be busy! (This particular space is around until the end of January - so you've got time!)

After seeing Geraldo De Barros and Perspectives on Collage in this space I was so excited to get back there once more, to see what beauties they had hanging this time! "A home truth can be simply understood as a fact that is somehow discomforting to acknowledge or may cause embarrassment. The work in this show may do all of those things." This exhibit is a screaming out about Identity and Motherhood, it questions society's immediate assumptions of it. It asserts authority throughout any piece regarding Feminism or Identity with regards to children I've ever seen before.

The group of artists are: Janine Antoni, Elina Brotherus, Elinor Carucci, Ana Casas Broda, Fred Hüning, Leigh Ledare, Katie Murray and Hanna Putz.

The thing I found particularly fascinating was the way the imagery communicated the hugely demanding roles of a Mother. Katie Murray completed a video named Gazelle, which cried out the subject to me. A woman is trying to exercise with two children literally using her as a climbing frame, for me you could almost pinpoint the moment that this woman's identity left her body, and her role as a mother took over. Strangely however I found this whole exhibit constantly highlighting the complexities of this topic, however not once complaining about the role. I was left wondering whether anyone else had this reaction? Maybe it's the fact that most women enter this role voluntarily? Some of the artists in the exhibition even had quotes exploring their views on the process, communicating to me that they don't regret their decisions at all - just want the complexities of the role to be acknowledged.

Mothers, and even fathers once seeing this, I don't think you'll ever look at your children in the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment